About Me

My photo

Hi, I'm Lyndsey. I'm a 36 year old Mum from Wales. I have a Masters Degree in Marketing Communications and Public Relations and put it to good use in my work as a freelance Marketing & PR consultant. I also work part time as a fundraising coordinator for a Welsh charity which I absolutely love!! With two jobs, two children, two cats and a handsome man, lets just say I'm a busy lady. 
From 2006-2008, I wrote a column for the Denbighshire Free Press. I was so proud of the feedback I got for this, even the one angry ‘You Suck’ letter to the editor cheered me up no end; it showed that people took notice of what little ol’ me had to say. It’s good to know that people give a rat’s ass either way! So, succumbing to requests from my former fan club (ok, overstating there – readers who had nothing better to do on a Thursday afternoon) under the March 2014 archive you will find a selection of my early Free Press articles. I’d love to hear what you think on any of the subjects raised…you know, rat’s ass either way feedback ;-)

Monday, 7 July 2014

Dudes as Deaf as a Post

My dude is deaf as a post!  Yes, I know that neither he nor the audiology consultant agree with me but I believe them both to be in denial.
 
For the 3 years that I have been in love with this bozo, I have lived in a constant state of parrot-like speak, pause, repeat, pause, repeat, resist urge to throttle. Next sentence.  For 33 years I have lived in a world where I say a sentence and my co-chatterer responds in such a way as to facilitate a conversation.  These days however, my sentence is met with "Eh, I missed that", "Eh?", "Did you say something?", "     " (That's the silent nod response) or simply no response at all.  The absolute worst however is the blank / horrified stare; which indicates that he is scared to ask me to repeat myself...AGAIN.

So, last week, I shoved him into our local audiology department and suggested, yes aggressively, that he get his lugholes looked at.  Wise man never argued.  He arrived home triumphant. "I told you there is nothing wrong with my hearing!"  The kids and I looked at each other dumbfounded.  "He is lying Mum, tell him off" demanded my son.  "What's the point?" quipped my daughter "He cant hear her anyway".  All but Hubby broke into giggles; he simply wore his blank face.  We knew he didn't dare ask us to repeat.

Apparently, he believes me to be too softly spoken.  Hmm...Easily fixed if you say "Eh" again dude!  I need to get his attention before speaking to him says the ever so insightful, but definitely crap, Consultant.  I consider my own Mother's attention grabbing technique of a clip-round-the-ear.  Maybe not.  Then it dawned on me.  He does not appear to have any trouble hearing the TV, phone, next door's crying baby or tweeting birds in the morning.  Could he be faking it?  Could he be winding me up?
 
No - decided he is deaf not stupid!  Although...the kids have been wearing Hubby's fear-face a lot lately.  Learned behaviour perhaps?  Could it actually be me that is the problem?  Do I really mumble, mutter or whisper as so cruelly accused of?  NO.  Not possible!  Just to test it though....

"OI, BUGGERLUGS, CLOTH-EARS, DEAF-DUDE"  their 3 heads span round in unison.  "There - you heard that didn't you"  they nodded meekly.  "So, its not me, its...its...OMG... Selective Hearing!"

"What? Cant hear you" smirked Hubby.  "What did she say?" grinned my Son.  "I Dunno" answered Daughter.  Yeah, lets see how funny they find it at dinner time. "What? Hungry? Sorry, didn't hear you but my food was lovely"...

2 comments:

  1. Ay Mr Jones

    You are as crafty as an old fox. Who you asking to help you out haha NOT A PRAYER pal. He is using his old tricks of only hearing what he wants to, trust me. I have sadly known this person too chuffin long. 1970's to be exact. He has always done this trick since I have known him. You ask him if he fancies a beer and the response is immediate 'Yes pal, so long as your paying' haha

    ReplyDelete