About Me

My photo

Hi, I'm Lyndsey. I'm a 36 year old Mum from Wales. I have a Masters Degree in Marketing Communications and Public Relations and put it to good use in my work as a freelance Marketing & PR consultant. I also work part time as a fundraising coordinator for a Welsh charity which I absolutely love!! With two jobs, two children, two cats and a handsome man, lets just say I'm a busy lady. 
From 2006-2008, I wrote a column for the Denbighshire Free Press. I was so proud of the feedback I got for this, even the one angry ‘You Suck’ letter to the editor cheered me up no end; it showed that people took notice of what little ol’ me had to say. It’s good to know that people give a rat’s ass either way! So, succumbing to requests from my former fan club (ok, overstating there – readers who had nothing better to do on a Thursday afternoon) under the March 2014 archive you will find a selection of my early Free Press articles. I’d love to hear what you think on any of the subjects raised…you know, rat’s ass either way feedback ;-)

Sunday, 5 April 2015

The Easter Proposal

Easter time already?  As I am wandering round our estate, two kids & pug in tow, waiting on the text message from Hubs allowing us back home, I couldn't help feeling an old fogey style amazement at how quick the year had flown.

Exactly one year ago to the very hour, the kids and I were doing exactly the same trawl around the estate waiting on exactly the same text message which would say the clues and the egg hunt were all set up and it was time to go a hunting.

Easter Sunday 2014 was one of the most special days of my life! I knew this year it would be impossible for any bunny or chocolate eggs to beat it. Last Easter was when Hubs proposed to me.

Hubby2B has had ownership of the Easter egg hunt for the last four years now. True to his squaddie mentality of thorough Planning & Preparation Prevents a Pee Poor Performance, he had begun writing his clues weeks in advance.  The biggest kid of all, he was excited to see the look on the children's faces at the end of each clue before they raced off to find out what was in "the place where everyone, except daughter, puts dirty socks". 

That Easter, I took the kids & cat (moggie went by choice, I think kitty leads are mean as hell!!) for a walk round the block while Hubs stayed home to hide the eggs and clues. On our walk, the kids kept breaking off and having private giggles but flatly refused to tell me what was so funny. I spent the entire walk paranoid and checking for bird dumps on my jacket or well aimed stickybobs hanging off my pyjama pants; I know, PJs in public - the shame!!

Eventually the text came and we hurried home. The hunt was brilliant! Upstairs, downstairs, in the garden, in the washing machine until eventually, both children had equal numbers of scrummy eggs (which would still be in the cupboard in June torturing me) "Right, Mum's turn" Hubs announced. 

"No waaaayyy.... I get an egg too? Fantastic!" I exclaimed. I NEVER get my own egg hunt!  Back around we went, clues indicating upstairs, downstairs, back garden, back to the living room. Then inside the table drawer...Ta Dahhh... My very own egg, with a note stuck to the box 'OPEN ME'  Ahh No I thought. If I open it then they are all going to feast on my egg before breakfast, I will be lucky to get an eighth of my egg. I don't want to open it!

Hubs had noticed my expression and misreading it, suddenly looked desolate. I thought that he thought that I was disappointed with my egg and quickly pronounced that it was a perfect egg, thank you, thank you, thank you.  "Open the egg" the kids yelled excitedly, and that's when I became suspicious. What had they done to it? My son is going through a phase of pranks such as toothpaste Oreo cookies and vinegar cake,  so if its a fake chocolate egg or a scary clown was popping out of it, then I wasn't going to be impressed!

Now had I known what a romantic, special moment this was about to be, then I would have never, EVER have laid out the egg, imitated the Karate Kid circa 1980 and chopped the chocolate, exploding the egg and breaking my hand at the same time.  As my kids did a synchronised face-palm, a jewellery box dropped into my lap.

Shock & surprise, I will admit my heart was hammering.  Partly because we had both sworn we would never be 'stupid enough to do marriage again' and partly because I never know what to do with my face in romantic moments, I just end up looking gormless, stressed, a possibly a bit freaky. Inside my box was small, handwritten notes from my babies 'Mum, please say yes, we really want you two to get married' and 'Mum, we love you and Steve very much and really hope you will say yes'.

More messages followed until I got a message from Hubs. With eyes misted completely, I read the most beautiful, perfect proposal message. Hubs was sat with both kids on his knee, arms wrapped round his neck. "I asked the kid's permission first and they helped me choose the ring. Do you like it"?  It was beautiful and knowing that they had all chosen it together made it all the more special. "It took ages to open the egg without breaking it" my Son informed me. "Then we had to melt another egg and use the chocolate to seal up your egg again" my Daughter laughed.  The picture in my head of them all gathered around this egg, trying to make it perfect made me laugh out loud.

"So...??"  Wishing I had make up and pretty clothes on befitting this moment, instead of my PJs, I hurried over to them. The three of us on his knee as I tearfully (I don't normally do happy tears or soppy stuff btw - not cool) said "Yes".

So today, as the 'Home Time' text finally pinged in, I couldn't help but wonder, how on earth could any Easter day compete?  As it turned out though, it was wonderful too. A romantic anniversary card and my very own egg at the end of the hunt. Beat that Easter Bunny :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment